Mornings on the Mall
Tuesday, July 2, 2019
Hosts: Mary Walter and Vince Coglianese
Executive Producer: Heather Hunter
5am – A/B/C FOURTH OF JULY NEWS:
- Trump Plans Patriotic ‘Salute To America’ Parade For The 4th Of July (Daily Caller) The White House is gearing up for a major patriotic rally, dubbed the “Salute to America,” to celebrate the Fourth of July with a demonstration of military might and a speech from President Donald Trump. Trump first got the idea for a military parade celebrating America after viewing the Bastille Day parade in France in 2017, telling reporters, “It was one of the greatest parades I’ve ever seen.” The White House started prepping for a similar parade in early 2018, according to reports, but the president put the brakes on the idea when he discovered it could cost upwards of $100 million. “The local politicians who run Washington, C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it,” Trump said, “When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it. Never let someone hold you up!”
- Trump asks for military tanks on the Mall as part of grandiose July Fourth event President Donald Trump has asked the Pentagon to marshal a broadening array of military hardware, including tanks and fighter jets, to showcase his planned Fourth of July address to the nation – dramatically escalating the gathering’s cost and sparking concerns about the potentially damaging impact on the Mall and other infrastructure.
5am – D Nike dropped Betsy Ross-themed Fourth of July sneaker after Colin Kaepernick complained, report says (Fox News) Nike nixed the released of the Air Max 1 USA after having already sent the sneakers to retailers because the protesting quarterback said he felt the use of the Betsy Ross flag was offensive and carried slavery connotations, sources told The Wall Street Journal.
5am – E Chick-Fil-A News:
- Manhattan Chick-fil-A Vandalized During Pride Event
- Heroic Chick-fil-A worker leaps through drive-thru window to save a choking child
6am – A/B/C BORDER NEWS:
- AOC says migrants forced to drink toilet water after tense border visit
- AOC screamed at Border Patrol agents in ‘threatening manner’ during tour: Witnesses
- A Facebook group for border agents was rife with racism and sexism. Now DHS is investigating.
- Poll: 59% Of Americans Oppose Government-Provided Health Insurance For Illegal Migrants
- Salvadoran president says his country is to blame for migrants drowning in Rio Grande
6am – D/E Economy News:
- Many other families had the same idea. Apex, nicknamed the Millennial Mayberry, is the fastest-growing suburb in the S., according to Realtor.com, and the town is struggling to keep pace with all the newcomers.
- A third of Americans say they’ve cut spending in the last year, and that percentage is about the same no matter the demographic. Reasons for spending less ranged from a loss of household income and new debt to fear of recession, job loss or large medical bills from an unexpected illness or injury.
- The greatest percentage of those spending less say they did it because of job loss, followed by people who took on new debt. Fear of a coming recession is also fueling anxiety amid signs of a possible slowdown
6am – F Defense Department to ban beer and pizza? Mandatory keto diet may enhance military performance
7am – A INTERVIEW – CHARLIE SPIERING – White House correspondent, Breitbart News
Topic: Latest White House News
7am – B/C Journalist Andy Ngo describes Antifa’s violent attack
7am – D/E 2020 News:
- CNN poll shows just 21% support completely replacing private health insurance with a national program. (Most in favor of single-payer want to allow private coverage.)
- People also oppose coverage for undocumented immigrants, 59-38. All 10 Dems at Thursday’s debate supported that.
- 2020 Dems face prospect of being cut from debates
- Biden supporters and Democrats who have attended the former vice president’s events in the days after the first nationally televised debate, are describing Harris’ assault on Biden as an all-too-calculated overreach after she knocked him on his heels in a grilling over busing and his remarks on segregationist senators.
8am – A INTERVIEW – LT COL TONY SHAFFER – a CIA trained former senior intelligence officer and president of the London Center for Policy Research
- President Trump orchestrated a made-for-TV moment at the DMZ when he met with Kim Jong Un and stepped across the border into North Korea
- NYT: In New Talks, U.S. May Settle for a Nuclear Freeze by North Korea
- Iran has breached the limit on its stockpile of enriched uranium set by the 2015 nuclear accord, state news agency reports
8am – B/C More 2020 News:
- Bill de Blasio: The federal government should pay for gender reassignment surgery
- Pete Buttigieg Raises Nearly $25 Million In Second Quarter
8am – D/E INTERVIEW – MARK KRIKORIAN- executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies
Topic: Border News