WASHINGTON — (CNN) Ben Carson is considering changes to his presidential campaign, including shakeups to staff assignments, the retired neurosurgeon said Wednesday.
But, the campaign said, it does not anticipate staff cuts despite falling poll numbers.
The Washington Post reported earlier Wednesday that Carson, who was previously one of the leading GOP candidates for president, was blaming his campaign’s recent troubles on his advisers and planned to shake up his staff over the next few days.
Carson, once the Republican front-runner, has fallen to 10% in the latest CNN/ORC poll, which ties him for a distant third with Marco Rubio, and well behind front-runner Donald Trump and Ted Cruz, who is in second place. CNN previously reported that Carson’s campaign was in crisis and that the unorthodox structure of the neophyte politician’s campaign was proving to be a liability.
“I’m looking at every aspect of the campaign right now. Everything is on the table, every job is on the table. And we’re going to analyze it very carefully,” Carson told the Post. “It’s not perfect, and we’re going to work on it.”
Carson later told CNN in a statement released by his campaign that he is “refining some operational practices and streamlining some staff assignments to more aptly match the tasks ahead.”
But he said his “senior team” remains in place and they will continue to “execute our campaign plan.”
“I have 100 percent confidence in my campaign team. We have come a long way and accomplished great things together, and together we look forward to winning in Iowa and beyond,” Carson said.
Doug Watts, a spokesman for Carson, told CNN the campaign does not “anticipate releasing anyone from the staff, but we may reprioritize their time and/or their assignments.”
The-CNN-Wire ™ & © 2015 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.