Mornings on the Mall
Wednesday, July 3, 2019
Hosts: Mary Walter and Vince Coglianese
Executive Producer: Heather Hunter
5am – A/B/C WHAT WOULD YOU ASK 2020 DEMS?
5am – D 4TH OF JULY
- American Pride Hits New Low; Few Proud of Political System (Gallup) — As Americans prepare to celebrate the Fourth of July holiday, their pride in the U.S. has hit its lowest point since Gallup’s first measurement in 2001. While 70% of S. adults overall say they are proud to be Americans, this includes fewer than half (45%) who are “extremely” proud, marking the second consecutive year that this reading is below the majority level. Democrats continue to lag far behind Republicans in expressing extreme pride in the U.S.
6am – A/B/C BORDER AND IMMIGRATION NEWS
- At border, grim realities of crisis collide with 2020 campaign politics (Washington Post) — Homeland Security officials thought they finally were getting a handle on the crisis at the Mexican border, after warning for months that agents and holding cells were beyond “the breaking point.” The record surge of Central American families has started to abate. The Mexican government has launched a broad crackdown after a deal with President Trump. And in a rare example of bipartisan action, lawmakers last week approved $4.6 billion in supplemental funding, most of it to improve care for minors who arrive without parents. Then the border crisis collided with the 2020 presidential campaign, putting the still-grim realities of S. border enforcement at the emotional core of the Democratic primary season.
- Totally not shocking: Mexico admits migrants are buying children to cross border (HotAir) –We’ve been hearing stories for quite some time now about illegal aliens showing up at the southern border with children in tow who turn out to not be their own. In some cases, it’s possible that they may be friends of the family, but in others, they are clearly either trafficking them across the border or hoping to use them as a get out of jail free card.
6am – D/E INTERVIEW – CAL THOMAS, syndicated columnist
- TOPIC: What I would have asked Dems at their recent debates
6am – F CARDI B
- Cardi B wanted to trademark ‘Okurrr.’ The patent office said ‘uh uh’ (CNN) — Cardi B’s application to trademark her signature phrase “okurrr” was refused by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.The rapper’s attorney filed applications to trademark the term in March to use it on paper goods, like cups and posters, and clothing, like T-shirts and undergarments.
7am – A/B/C DOG OWNERS
- Confide In Fido! Nearly Half Of Dog Owners Turn To Their Canines Over Family For Comfort — Dogs have been considered man’s best friend for hundreds of years, but according to a recent survey, they may also be man’s (or woman’s) best therapist. Conducted by Wag!, a mobile dog-walking app, a survey of more than 2,000 pet parents found that 44% of respondents would rather turn to their dog for emotional support than talk about their feelings with a family member.
7am – D INTERVIEW – KEVIN MCCARTHY, FOX 5 REPORTER
- TOPIC: Movies to watch for Independence Day
7am – E NAVY SEAL NOT GUILTY
- Navy SEAL Edward Gallagher found not guilty of murdering ISIS fighter (CBS)
— A decorated Navy SEAL was found not guilty of committing murder in Iraq. A jury did convict Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher of posing for photographs with a dead war casualty. Gallagher learned his fate after six hours of deliberation by a seven person military jury.
8am – A INTERVIEW – JOSH KRAUSHAAR, political editor for the National Journal
- TOPIC: Election 2020
8am – B/C FISA
- Ratcliffe: DOJ inspector general’s probe of FISA abuse complete, uncertain when report will become public (Fox News) — Rep. John Ratcliffe said on “Hannity” that the Justice Department inspector general concluded his probe into alleged abuse of the FISA court process during the investigation of the Trump campaign in 2016.
8am – D INTERVIEW – DAVID BERNHARDT, United States Secretary of the Interior
- TOPIC: What to expect during the 4th of July’s “Salute to America”