Mornings on the Mall
Tuesday, October 29, 2019
Hosts: Vince Coglianese and Amber Athey
Executive Producer: Heather Hunter
Geary Higgins, Scott Allen, Rep. Warren Davidson and Steve Adragna joined WMAL on Tuesday!
5am – A/B/C House to vote on resolution laying out next steps in impeachment inquiry. (NBC News) WASHINGTON — The House is expected to vote Thursday on a Democratic resolution that will lay out the next steps in the impeachment inquiry, according to a senior congressional source. The language of the resolution has not been released, but it is expected to detail procedures going forward in the investigation, not formalize it. “This resolution establishes the procedure for hearings that are open to the American people, authorizes the disclosure of deposition transcripts, outlines procedures to transfer evidence to the Judiciary Committee as it considers potential articles of impeachment, and sets forth due process rights for the President and his Counsel,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said in a letter to her caucus Monday. “We are taking this step to eliminate any doubt as to whether the Trump Administration may withhold documents, prevent witness testimony, disregard duly authorized subpoenas, or continue obstructing the House of Representatives.” The move comes as pressure grows on Democrats to make the inquiry more open, including holding public hearings with key witnesses in the Ukraine case. House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., has said that Democrats eventually plan to question witnesses in public sessions.
5am – D MEGYN KELLY TAKES ON NBC:
- MEGYN KELLY: Sources tell me: more NBC harassment victims are coming fwd behind the scenes. If u are a victim or have info re: a sex harassment situation at NBC – whether you’ve filed a claim or not – Silence Breakers confirms it is offering confidential support: email@example.com
5am – E Rep Katie Hill posts a video to YouTube saying that she is a victim of a “coordinated campaign” by “right-wing media and Republican opponents”
6am – A Kamala Harris Appears To Blame Racism, Sexism For Struggling Campaign. (Daily Caller) — Democratic California Sen. Kamala Harris appeared to suggest that racism and sexism have hurt her chances to win the Democratic presidential nomination. Harris told Axios on HBO that Americans have “a lack of ability” to imagine a black, female president in a video posted Sunday. “I have also started to perhaps be more candid talking about what I described and what I believe to be the elephant in the room about my campaign,” Harris said. “Electability. You know, essentially, is America ready for a woman and a woman of color to be president of the United States?” When the reporter mentioned that America elected President Barack Obama twice, she compared her struggling campaign to the former president’s. “And this conversation happened for him. There is a lack of ability or a difficulty in imagining that someone who we have never seen can do a job that has been done, you know, 45 times by someone who is not that person,” Harris said.
6am – B/C SOCIALIST BERNIE SANDERS HAS A BAD PHOTO OP:
- Which social media genius decided to film Bernie Sanders –the presidential candidate people accuse of being a socialist — in front of empty grocery shelves
- DETROIT FREE PRESS explains… he was at a food pantry… And the final stop of the day before the rally was the Brightmoor Food Pantry on the far west side of the city, that is running out of bottled water because so many Detroiters are getting their water shut off by the city for non-payment of their bills. “Here in this campaign, we hear the word socialism a lot. Well, what this is a perfect example of is socialism for billionaires, massive amounts of subsidies and tax breaks,” Sanders said, while visiting the Brightmoor pantry. “But for children, there’s not enough money for a decent education and for poor people, there’s not an ability to get clean drinking water.”
6am – D Kanye West is expected to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart with “Jesus Is King.” It would be his ninth consecutive No. 1 album, tying Eminem for the most consecutive No. 1 albums in chart history.
6am – E BASEBALL FLASHERS: Julia Rose, Lauren Summer banned indefinitely after flashing Gerrit Cole at World Series. Shagmag founder Julia Rose and brand executive Lauren Summer have been banned indefinitely by Major League Baseball after flashing Astros pitcher Gerrit Cole during Game 5 of the World Series on Sunday night. Taking to social media early Monday, Rose and Summer shared the letter they had received, which noted a violation of rules of fan conduct. “During the game, you violated the fan code of conduct by exposing yourself during the 7th inning, in order to promote a business,” the letter read. It appears the women were promoting breast cancer awareness.
6am – F Watergate Hotel’s new ‘Arrested at Watergate’ package includes drinks with police who responded to break-in | Fox News. The Watergate Hotel is fully embracing its scandalous history with a new guest package. The hotel — the same one at the center of the infamous scandal of the same name — is now offering guests the chance to book its “Arrested at the Watergate” experience, which includes sharing a whiskey flight with the arresting officers who arrived on the scene of a break-in at the Watergate complex in 1972. The package also includes a stay at the hotel’s “Scandal Room,” which was recreated at the site of the hotel room where Howard Hunt and G. Gordon Liddy attempted to orchestrate a break-in of the Democratic National Convention’s headquarters. Before it reopened for bookings in 2017, the “Scandal Room” was conceptualized and designed with the help of Lyn Paolo, the costume designer for the hit ABC series “Scandal.” The room currently boasts furnishings from the 1960s and ‘70s, as well as framed memorabilia for Watergate buffs to pore over. Guests who book the new “Arrested at Watergate” package will also be treated to drinks with John Barrett and Paul Leeper, the plainclothes D.C. police officers who responded to the burglary.
7am – A INTERVIEW — GEARY HIGGINS – is the Republican nominee for Virginia State Senate District 13. He was elected to the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors in 2011. Geary discussed his run for the VA state Senate’s 13th District seat (being vacated by Republican Sen. Dick Black).
- Transportation, Education and taxes are his top issues: Geary’s opponent proposed to keep tolls — costing Northern VA residents a fortune.
- Geary has a new ad highlighting how John Bell wanted Northam to resign, then took money from Northam and then resisted calls to investigate Justin Fairfax
- BACKGROUND ABOUT RACE: One big battleground for control of the Virginia state legislature this November will be in the 13th Senate district, in Loudoun County and part of Prince William. Incumbent Republican Dick Black is retiring, and current Delegate John Bell (D) and Loudoun supervisor Geary Higgins (R) are the two candidates on the ballot November 5. The district contains most of Loudoun, except for the area around Leesburg and Lansdowne, then stretches south through Prince William County to Haymarket and Gainesville. Like these two counties generally, it’s been growing more Democratic in recent years. The district voted for Ken Cuccinelli over Terry McAuliffe in 2013, 50%-46%, but Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump in 2016, 50%-44%, and then 55% for Ralph Northam versus 44% for Ed Gillespie in 2017.
7am – B/C DAVE CHAPPELLE HONORED BY D.C. – Dave Chappelle is awarded the Mark Twain Prize, and gets his own official Day in D.C/:
- Dave Chappelle: “Political correctness has its place… I, personally, am not afraid of other people’s freedom of expression. I don’t use it as a weapon. It just makes me feel better. And I’m sorry if I hurt anybody. Etc., etc. Yada, yada, yada. Everything I’m supposed to say.”
7am – D INTERVIEW – SCOTT ALLEN – Sports reporter, The Washington Post – previewed the Washington Nationals at Houston Astros in the World Seierl
- World Series: Four things the Nationals must do to pull off one more October comeback. (CBS Sports) — The Nationals are headed back to Houston needing two wins to claim the title. WASHINGTON, D.C.– On Sunday, the Houston Astros defeated the Washington Nationals in a blowout for the second consecutive night. The best-of-seven series is now tilted in the Astros’ favor, and they’ll return home to Minute Maid Park up 3-2 — or, a win away from their second world championship in three years. The Nationals, then, have their backs up against the wall. The Nationals are no stranger to this condition. They were mere outs away from losing in the National League Wild Card Game against the Milwaukee Brewers, and then had to win consecutive games against the Los Angeles Dodgers in the NL Divisional Series to advance. It stands to reason that they are … if not comfortable, at least familiar with their current state. Even so, it’s fair to ask: How can the Nationals win the World Series?
7am – E NYT: Army Officer Who Heard Trump’s Ukraine Call Reported Concerns: WASHINGTON — A White House national security official who is a decorated Iraq war veteran plans to tell House impeachment investigators on Tuesday that he heard President Trump appeal to Ukraine’s president to investigate one of his leading political rivals, a request the aide considered so damaging to American interests that he reported it to a superior. Lt. Col. Alexander S. Vindman of the Army, the top Ukraine expert on the National Security Council, twice registered internal objections about how Mr. Trump and his inner circle were treating Ukraine, out of what he called a “sense of duty,” he plans to tell the inquiry, according to a draft of his opening statement obtained by The New York Times.
8am – A INTERVIEW – REP. WARREN DAVIDSON – (Republican – Ohio’s 8th congressional district) and is the House Freedom Caucus Policy Chair
- House to vote on resolution laying out next steps in impeachment inquiry. WASHINGTON — The House is expected to vote Thursday on a Democratic resolution that will lay out the next steps in the impeachment inquiry, according to a senior congressional source. The language of the resolution has not been released, but it is expected to detail procedures going forward in the investigation, not formalize it. “This resolution establishes the procedure for hearings that are open to the American people, authorizes the disclosure of deposition transcripts, outlines procedures to transfer evidence to the Judiciary Committee as it considers potential articles of impeachment, and sets forth due process rights for the President and his Counsel,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said in a letter to her caucus Monday.
8am – B/C DEATH OF ISIS LEADER AL BAGHDADI UPDATE:
- ‘GREAT JOB’ — President Trump Declassifies Photo Of Dog Involved In Killing ISIS Leader
- Washington Post Max Boot columnist issues correction after claiming Baghdadi not a coward. Max Boot has deleted his tweet that said al-Baghdadi was not a coward because he blew himself up
8am – D INTERVIEW – STEVE ADRAGNA is a candidate to represent the 42nd District in Virginia’s House of Delegates – discussed his campaign against Del. Kathy Tran. https://www.steveadragna.us
- Democrats’ push to win Virginia legislature could mean Fairfax County goes all blue. The NARAL women’s rights group is working to reelect Del. Kathy Tran (D-Fairfax), and who has become a GOP target over a failed bill she sponsored last year that sought to loosen restrictions on late-term abortions. Tran is opposed by Republican Steve Adragna.
- KAMALA STUMPING FOR INFANTICIDE ADVOCATE & VA DEL. KATHY TRAN: On Sunday Kamala Harris campaigned for Virginia Democrat Kathy Tran, who proposed the sick law that would allow a healthy baby to be aborted at birth.\ON FACEBOOK: Delegate Kathy Tran: Thank you Kamala Harris for joining our canvass launch today! Just 9 days until we win a Democratic majority in the Virginia House! #FlipVABlue
8am – E JOHN LEGEND NEWS:
- John Legend and Kelly Clarkson update ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ with lyrics about consent… New version includes lyric: ‘It’s your body, and your choice’
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen endorse Elizabeth Warren: ‘She’s the best candidate running today’