Mornings on the Mall
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
Hosts: Mary Walter and Vince Coglianese
Executive Producer: Heather Hunter
Luke Rosiak, Michelle Malkin, Lee Smith and Mark Levin joined WMAL on Tuesday morning!
5am – A/B/C One Year From Election, Trump Trails Biden but Leads Warren in Battlegrounds. Despite low national approval ratings and the specter of impeachment, President Trump remains highly competitive in the battleground states likeliest to decide his re-election, according to a set of new surveys from The New York Times Upshot and Siena College.
5am – D ANONYMOUS WRITER:
- DOJ ASKING FOR INFO THAT WOULD IDENTIFY ANONYMOUS OP-ED WRITER: The Justice Department is asking a publishing company for information that could identify a senior Trump administration official who blasted President Donald Trump in an anonymous New York Times op-ed last year, according to a letter released on Monday.
- PUBLISHER DENIES: The publisher, Hachette Book Group, later replied that it received Hunt’s letter but would not comply with the request to reveal any details on the author’s identity. “Hachette is not party to any nondisclosure agreements with the U.S. government that would require any pre-publication review of this book,” the company’s Executive Vice President and General Counsel Carol F. Ross wrote Monday.
5am – E GUN NEWS:
- Pregnant Florida mom uses AR-15 to kill home intruder. A pregnant woman is credited with saving the lives of her husband and daughter after she used an AR-15 to fatally gun down a home intruder, a report said. The hero mom sprung into action when two intruders entered the family’s Lithia, Fla. home last week and pistol whipped her husband while violently grabbing their daughter, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office. “They came in heavily hooded and masked,” the husband, Jeremy King, told Bay News 9. “As soon as they had got the back door opened, they had a pistol on me and was grabbing my 11-year-old daughter.” The robbers then pistol-whipped King and kicked him while the man’s wife, who is eight months pregnant, retreated into the bedroom. “When he came toward the back door in her line of sight, she clipped him,” King told the outlet. “He made it from my back door to roughly 200 feet out in the front ditch before the AR did its thing.” Police said in a press conference that they found the man’s dead body lying in the ditch nearby. The second suspect was on the loose.
- Joy Behar: Don’t tell Americans before you take their guns. Politicians seeking to confiscate guns from Americans shouldn’t share their plans with the public beforehand and should seek to maintain an element of surprise, Joy Behar said on “The View” Monday. Behar was discussing former 2020 presidential hopeful Beto O’Rourke, a Democrat from Texas, and said it was foolish of him to announce his plans for gun confiscation before he was elected. She advised all politicians to go after the country’s guns after they’ve assumed office. “They should not tell everything they’re going to do. If you’re going to take people’s guns away, wait until you get elected — then take the guns away,” she said. “Don’t tell them ahead of time.”
6am – A/B/C/D/E/F 2019 Virginia election: Virginia votes Nov. 5 in crucial races that will determine the direction of the state’s government in Richmond and install new leaders in local governments across Northern Virginia. In Virginia, polls are open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Election Day. Any absentee ballots must also be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day to be counted. Republicans and Democrats are battling in most of the state’s 100 House of Delegates seats and 40 state Senate seats. Republicans are entering the election with the slimmest of majorities in each chamber. The races are getting national attention, because of the four states with legislative elections on Nov. 5, Virginia’s General Assembly has the highest odds of changing hands. The odds increased for Democrats under court-drawn maps, which were meant to fix race-based gerrymandering that was found to be unconstitutional. This will be the only general election under the new maps because new lines are scheduled to be drawn in 2021 based on 2020 census data. At the local level, elections range from board of supervisors and commonwealth’s attorneys races to school board and sheriffs races. A number of local governments will or could have major turnover after the election, including in Fairfax, Prince William and Loudoun counties.
- Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump. Virginia, with all of the massive amount of defense and other work I brought to you, and with everything planned, go out and vote Republican today. I know the Dems are saying that they have your vote locked up, but that would mean a long slide down. VOTE REPUBLICAN TODAY!
7am – A INTERVIEW – LUKE ROSIAK – Investigative reporter for the Daily Caller News Foundation
- School Districts Push A Return To Busing, Despite Their Own Data Suggesting It Won’t Reduce The ‘Achievement Gap.’ (Daily Caller News Foundation/Luke Rosiak) – School boards in Howard County, Maryland, and Fairfax County, Virginia, are pushing plans to bus students to equalize schools’ poverty rates. But their own data show no correlation between the performance of individual impoverished students and the demographics of the students that surround them. School board member Elizabeth Schultz said that school boards across the country are pursuing ideological agendas while ignoring data about whether they work. Multiple school districts across the country are considering busing-style programs to distribute impoverished students equally, but data suggest that such proposals would not reduce an achievement gap between poor students and their wealthier schoolmates, analyses by the Daily Caller News Foundation and others found. Demographic-based redistricting seeks to spread poverty equally among all schools. In Fairfax County, Virginia, that would mean every middle school would have 35% of students in poverty. But a DCNF analysis found that the Fairfax school that currently most closely mirrors that rate has the worst test scores in the entire county for non-impoverished students, and nearly the worst scores for impoverished students. Meanwhile, the middle school that currently has the absolute worst outcomes for impoverished students is the one that has a 50-50 split of impoverished and non-impoverished students, the review found. Students from poor families actually do better in schools where they are surrounded by students of similar backgrounds, rather than an even mix, the review found.
7am – B/C Study reveals early Christmas decorating is good for you. (New York Post) – Have a holly jolly November! Decorating your home for Christmas months before the holiday — even right after Halloween — can make you a happier person, according to a report Friday. Decking the halls early is a spirit-booster because it tends to trigger pleasant childhood memories, and makes folks feel more social, experts and studies show. “When you’re putting up decorations, you’re thinking of happier times, times with family and friends and family traditions you engaged in,” psychotherapist Amy Morin told ABC News. “Thinking of those happy memories stirs up happy feelings,” she said. A dose of holiday nostalgia also encourages giving and do-gooding, which is a mood enhancer, she said. “Altruism increases in the month of December and as people start to give more and donate more, it makes them happy,” said Morin, the author of “13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do.” “It makes people feel good so they want to start celebrating as early as possible,” she said. Dragging out the most wonderful time of the year can also help people interact more with their neighbors, according to a recent study published in the Journal of Environmental Psychology. “Residents who decorate for Christmas but who have few friends on the block may be using the decorations and other cues as a way of communicating their accessibility to neighbors,” the study says. People with festive homes are seen as “more friendly” and “open,” it also notes.
7am – D INTERVIEW – MICHELLE MALKIN – author of new book “Open Borders Inc.: Who’s Funding America’s Destruction?”
- Her new book “Open Borders Inc” / Open Borders Inc. follows the money to find the truth about who are the powerful forces working to erase America through an open border policy.
- TOPIC: Tuesday is an important election in Virginia. George Soros has been pouring money into local Northern Virginia races — particularly for Sheriff and District Attorney races — in his nationwide effort to remake America on the local level. Many of the candidates he is supporting are advocates for illegal immigration and are looking to drop cooperation with ICE in Northern Virginia.
- In Northern Virginia, an ‘unprecedented’ chance to shape criminal justice. (Washington Post) — Northern Virginia voters will have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to reshape the criminal justice system next week, as they head to the polls to select successors to longtime prosecutors in some of the state’s most populous jurisdictions. The races in Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William and Loudoun counties have become referendums on criminal justice reform on a variety of issues, including the death penalty, marijuana prosecutions and cooperation with immigration authorities.
- LOCAL VA SHERIFF RACE: Democratic megadonor George Soros invests in another Northern Virginia race: (Washington Post) – A political action committee funded by George Soros has given $50,000 to a candidate for sheriff in Prince William County, the latest in a string of contributions by the Democratic megadonor aimed at pushing criminal justice reform in Northern Virginia. The donation to the campaign of Democrat Josh King follows more than $1 million in spending by the Soros-aligned PAC that helped tip Democratic primaries for prosecutor in Arlington and Fairfax counties to progressive challengers in June. King is also running on a progressive agenda as he takes on Republican incumbent Glen Hill in November’s general election. King is promising to divert more offenders from incarceration, increase the diversity of the sheriff’s office and end the Prince William County jail’s controversial agreement, known as 287(g), to help the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency with immigration enforcement.
- Soros pumping money in Northern Virginia District Attorney races. (PowerlineBlog) – In Fairfax County, Soros funded Steve Descano in his race against incumbent Raymond Morrogh. Descano promises to end marijuana possession prosecutions, do away with cash bond, and forgo death penalty prosecutions. Jonathan Fahey is running against Descano in the general election. Fahey has been a prosecutor for almost 20 years, first in the Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office and then in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Northern Virginia. He has prosecuted gang members, drug traffickers, fraudsters, and murderers. Fahey received the Department of Justice’s highest level award for the prosecution of a serial killer. Prosecutors I know swear by Fahey. They describe him as rock solid.
7am – E TRUMP VOTERS KEEPING SPICER IN DWTS:
- ‘DWTS’ judges ‘irritated’ by Sean Spicer not being eliminated despite low scores
- NY TIMES: No, Sean Spicer Really Can’t Dance. He has consistently been the worst performer on “Dancing With the Stars.” So why is he still on?
- Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump: Vote for Sean Spicer on Dancing with the Stars. He is a great and very loyal guy who is working very hard! #MAGA
8am – A INTERVIEW – LEE SMITH – author of “The Plot Against the President: The True Story of How Congressman Devin Nunes Uncovered the Biggest Political Scandal in U.S. History”
- How The Obama Administration Set In Motion Democrats’ Coup Against Trump. Rep. Devin Nunes realized the purpose of Obama’s dossier
- ABOUT BOOK: The Plot Against the President: The True Story of How Congressman Devin Nunes Uncovered the Biggest Political Scandal in U.S. by Lee Smith (Author) Investigative journalist Lee Smith uses his unprecedented access to Congressman Devin Nunes, former head of the House Intelligence Committee, to expose the deep state operation against the president–and the American people. Investigative journalist Lee Smith’s The Plot Against the President tells the story of how Congressman Devin Nunes uncovered the operation to bring down the commander-in-chief. While popular opinion holds that Russia subverted democratic processes during the 2016 elections, the real damage was done not by Moscow or any other foreign actor. Rather, this was a slow-moving coup engineered by a coterie of the American elite, the “deep state,” targeting not only the president, but also the rest of the country. The plot officially began July 31, 2016 with the counterintelligence investigation that the FBI opened to probe Russian infiltration of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign. But the bureau never followed any Russians. In fact, it was an operation to sabotage Trump, the candidate, then president-elect, and finally the presidency. The conspirators included political operatives, law enforcement and intelligence officials, and the press. The plot was uncovered by Nunes, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, and his investigative team. They understood that the target of the operation wasn’t just Trump, but rather the institutions that sustain our republic. A country where operatives use the intelligence and security services to protect their privileges by spying on Americans, coordinating with the press, and using extra-constitutional means to undermine an election then undo a presidency is more like the third world than the republic envisioned by the founding fathers.
8am – B/C NATS VISIT THE WHITE HOUSE:
- President Trump celebrates the Washington Nationals World Series win at the White House yesterday afternoon.
- ‘America fell in love with Nats baseball. That’s all they wanted to talk about – that and impeachment,’ President Trump said as he welcomed the World Series champions the Washington Nationals to the White House
- Trump hugs Washington Nationals’ Kurt Suzuki, wearing ‘MAGA’ hat during White House visit
- Leftists Vow to Cancel Nats’ Kurt Suzuki for Donning MAGA Hat: He ‘Should Be Banned from Baseball’
- Multiple Nationals players no-shows for White House event: Prior to Monday’s ceremony, only reliever Sean Doolittle had publicly stated that he would not attend the traditional event hosted by President Donald Trump. However, a number of players’ names were not on the official list of attendees during the ceremony, including: – Anthony Rendon, Victor Robles, Michael Taylor, Joe Ross, Javy Guerra, Wander Suero
8am – D INTERVIEW – MARK LEVIN – The Great One — host of The Mark Levin Show on WMAL from 6 to 9 PM weekdays – discussed the importance of today’s election in Virginia.