Mornings on the Mall
Thursday, August 8, 2019
Hosts: Mary Walter and Vince Coglianese
Executive Producer: Heather Hunter
5am – A/B/C JOAQUIN CASTRO GETS BACKLASH OVER DOXXING TRUMP DONORS:
- Joaquin Castro defends tweeting out list of Trump donors: ‘Think twice,’ your money is being used to ‘fuel hate’
- MSNBC calls out Joaquin Castro for posting info about Trump donors in his city. His defense is first that its all public information…then pivots to well “I didn’t create the graphic.”
- DAILY CALLER: EXCLUSIVE: Retirees Targeted By Joaquin Castro Speak Out: ‘It’s Disgusting’ / “Sickening.” “Dangerous.” “Pitiful.” That’s how two retirees targeted by Democratic Texas Rep. Joaquin Castro described the congressman’s decision to publish the names of 44 Trump donors in San Antonio area. Both women spoke on condition of anonymity, citing fears of political violence and harassment. […] “I think what he did is sickening. I think it’s disgusting,” one retiree, herself an immigrant, told the Daily Caller News Foundation in a phone interview. “I’m a naturalized citizen, I love the United States of America, I think our president is doing an amazing job. He’s not a racist, I’m not a racist, and for them to be totally trying to be brainwash people, I think it’s just garbage. I think it’s just going to backfire on them, really,” she added. The woman said Castro’s post shows “how overboard [Democrats] have gone.”
- WASHINGTON EXAMINER: Six Trump donors Joaquin Castro tried to shame also gave to him and brother Julián. The congressman’s approach left many of the San Antonio-area Trump donors on the list who gave to the Castro brothers angered and hurt. “It is just amazing to me that he would do that,” said William Greehey, a philanthropist and former CEO of Valero Energy, who donated $5,000 to Joaquin Castro’s congressional campaign in 2013, covering the primary and general elections. Then he’s calling me a racist because I’m supporting Trump. I mean, this is just ridiculous.” said Greehey, who noted he started a $100 million homeless campus project that mostly serves Hispanic individuals. “There’s a lot of things you don’t like about the president and his tweeting, but here Castro is doing the same thing with his tweeting.”
5am – D/E Prof calls to get rid of grades because they are ‘capitalism in action’ (Campus Reform) — Professor Richard Wolff is known for his outspoken views against capitalism. He recently asserted that capitalism is being propped up by “meritocracy,” and that therefore “all levels” of education should do away with grading scales. A New York professor is calling for the abolition of grades. He claims they are not only unfair to students, but that they are a means of propping up capitalism, and as such, academia would be better off doing away with grading entirely. “Grading takes up much of my time that could be better spent on teaching or otherwise directly interacting with students,” New School professor Richard Wolff wrote in a Monday op-ed entitled “Grades Are Capitalism in Action. Let’s Get Them Out of Our Schools.” He claims the practice of administering grades to students has “little educational payoff” and “disrespects [students] as thinking people.”
6am – A/B/C Hollywood blockbuster that satirizes killing of ‘deplorables’ causes outrage: ‘Demented and evil’ (Fox News) — A controversial movie about privileged vacationers hunting “deplorables” for sport is ruffling feathers more than a month before its scheduled release and after tragic mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio. “The Hunt” is billed as a satire that follows wealthy thrill-seekers taking a private jet to a five-star resort where they embark on a “deeply rewarding” expedition that involves hunting down and killing designated humans. The Hollywood Reporter reported on Tuesday that “Universal is re-evaluating its strategy for the certain-to-be-controversial satire” following the shootings after ESPN reportedly pulled a trailer for the film that had been previously cleared to air on the sports network. “The violent, R-rated film from producer Jason Blum’s Blumhouse follows a dozen MAGA types who wake up in a clearing and realize they are being stalked for sport by elite liberals,” THR’s Kim Masters wrote. “It features guns blazing along with other ultra-violent killings as the elites pick off their prey.”
Movie Showing Elites Hunting Down Trump Supporters Slated to Hit Theaters in September (The Epoch Times) — A movie showing liberals stalking supporters of President Donald Trump is slated to be released in September but has lost an advertisement on ESPN in the wake of two mass shootings on Aug. 3 and Aug. 4. The movie, “The Hunt,” from Universal Pictures, shows people hunting down “deplorables,” a term failed presidential contender Hillary Clinton used to describe supporters of Trump during the 2016 campaign. “Did anyone see what our [expletive]-in-chief just did?” one character asks others early in the movie, reported the Hollywood Reporter. “At least The Hunt’s coming up. Nothing better than going out to the Manor and slaughtering a dozen deplorables.” According to the Reporter, the movie’s script features blue-state characters choosing to hunt red-state characters who expressed pro-life positions or were deemed racist.
6am – D Interview – MARK KRIKORIAN – Executive Director of the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) – discussed the Trump administration’s plans to bring over 400 more unaccompanied minors to a Northern Virginia shelter.
- Trump administration planning to bring over 400 more unaccompanied minors to Virginia shelter (FOX 5 DC) – The Trump administration is planning to bring more unaccompanied minors into Northern Virginia. The General Services Administration posted a formal solicitation for space it’s calling a “Virginia Unaccompanied Alien Children Shelter.” The facility in Northern Virginia will be used to house 440 children and will include medical and dining areas along with classrooms and two acres of outdoor recreational space. The Department of Health and Human Services is reportedly looking to move unaccompanied minors to parts of the country where they have relatives.
6am – E NEW GOVERNOR FOR PUERTO RICO: Wanda Vázquez becomes Puerto Rico’s 3rd governor in a week after island’s highest court ruling (NBC News) — Puerto Rico’s Supreme Court ruled that the process used by Ricardo Rosselló to name Pedro Pierluisi as his successor was unconstitutional. Puerto Rico’s Justice Secretary Wanda Vázquez became the third person in a week to occupy the post of governor of the U.S. territory. Vázquez was sworn in late Wednesday afternoon, hours after the island’s Supreme Court unanimously ruled that part of the law used by embattled Gov. Ricardo Rosselló to name Pedro Pierluisi as his successor was unconstitutional. “I arrive at this position by constitutional provision and by opinion of law, but with the greatest respect and determination to serve my people and to push Puerto Rico forward,” said Vázquez in a statement after being sworn at the Puerto Rico Supreme Court in San Juan. “It is with great humility and commitment that I assume the position to direct the destinies of our country, with responsibility and delivery.” Vázquez, who was appointed in 2017, is seen as loyal to Rosselló and protesters gathered in front of the governor’s mansion shortly after she was sworn in. The hashtag #WandaRenuncia (#WandaResign) was already trending on Twitter.
6am – F OCTOPUS BITES WOMAN’S FACE: Woman bitten after posing for picture with octopus on face (CNN Newsource) — It started as a fun picture and ended with an octopus biting a woman’s face with poisonous venom. When Jamie Bisceglia met up with some fishermen who had hooked an octopus during a fishing derby August 2, she saw an opportunity for an unusual picture. “It was a photo contest in the derby. And so, crazy me, hindsight now and looking back, I probably made a big mistake,” Bisceglia said. She put the small octopus on her face and posed. It grabbed her face with its suckers and then did something she didn’t expect. It bit her on the face. “It had barreled its beak into my chin and then let go a little bit and did it again. It was a really intense pain when it went inside and it just bled, dripping blood for a long time,” she said. Bisceglia said the octopus was a smaller version of a Giant Pacific Octopus that lives in the Point Defiance Aquarium.
7am – A Interview – Kevin Donahue – Deputy Mayor for Public Safety and Justice in Washington, D.C. – discussed how the Private Security Camera Incentive Program works and how it could benefit Washingtonians.
- Here’s how DC residents can receive a rebate for owning a surveillance camera. WASHINGTON (ABC7) — In 2016, The District launched the Private Security Camera System Incentive Program to help deter crime and assist law enforcement with investigations. The program encourages residents, business, religious organizations etc. to install security camera systems on their property and register them with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). Residents who participate in the Private Security Camera Rebate Program are eligible to receive a rebate of up to $200 per camera, with a maximum rebate of up to $500 per residential address (e.g., home offices, condo buildings, and apartments) and $750 for all other eligible addresses. The rebate is exclusively for the cost of the camera(s) including any applicable tax. District residents who receive public assistance may be eligible to have a camera system installed at their home through the Private Security Camera Voucher Program. To learn more about the rebate or voucher program, contact D.C. government at 202-727-5124 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7am – B/C Twitter Locked McConnell Campaign’s Account For Posting Video Of Protesters Outside Senator’s Home (Daily Caller) — Twitter forced at least three accounts, including that of Mitch McConnell’s campaign, to remove video of protesters calling for violence outside the senator’s home. The social media site confirmed to the Daily Caller News Foundation that it locked the three accounts, claiming the video violated the company’s “violent threats policy.” McConnell’s campaign chairman blasted Twitter for blocking video that showed “violent, real-world threats” against the Republican. Twitter forced three accounts, including that of Mitch McConnell’s campaign, to remove video of an activist calling for violence outside of the Senate majority leader’s Louisville, Kentucky, home Monday, saying the footage violates the company’s “violent threats policy.” The social media company also temporarily locked the accounts for posting the video, which showed the activist saying that someone should “just stab” a voodoo doll of McConnell “in the heart.”
7am – D Interview – Larry Michael – Voice of The Redskins – previewed 1st preseason Redskins game: Washington Redskins vs Cleveland Browns TONIGHT.
- Colt McCoy to be held out of Redskins’ preseason opener (Washington Post) — The Washington Redskins do not intend to play Colt McCoy in their preseason opener at the Cleveland Browns on Thursday, according to a person with knowledge of the decision, and instead will hold the veteran quarterback out for precautionary reasons. The move reflects the team’s careful approach with McCoy as he has worked his way back from a broken leg that ended his 2018 season. He was held out of all official offseason workouts as he rehabbed the injury before returning for training camp. The 10-year veteran has had a scheduled off day from camp and was taken out of a recent practice for precautionary reasons. McCoy is competing for the starting quarterback job with Case Keenum, who was acquired this offseason in a trade with the Denver Broncos, and rookie first-round pick Dwayne Haskins. The team’s first unofficial depth chart listed McCoy as the starter, which makes sense because he has been with Washington the longest and knows the system best, but Coach Jay Gruden said the order of the quarterbacks on the depth chart carried little weight.
7am – E Miami Dolphins owner fires back after anti-Trump activists plan Equinox, SoulCycle boycotts (Fox News) — Stephen Ross, owner of the NFL’s Miami Dolphins, fired back Wednesday at critics of President Trump, defending his plans to host a fundraiser for Trump on Friday at his Hamptons home on New York’s Long Island. Trump himself is expected to attend the event, at which donors can have their photo taken with the president for $100,000 or attend a private roundtable discussion with him for $250,000, according to the Washington Post. After news of the fundraiser emerged, anti-Trump activists called for boycotts against Equinox and SoulCycle, two fitness brands in which Ross, 79, a longtime GOP donor, is an investor. The boycott efforts received numerous endorsements from celebrities, including comedian Billy Eichner and model Chrissy Teigen. In one Twitter message, Eichner – a voice actor in “The Lion King” movie and a former host of the comedy show “Billy on the Street” — suggested Ross was “enabling racism and mass murder” by supporting Trump. At least one Dolphins player, receiver Kenny Stills, has commented publicly against Ross hosting the fundraiser. But in a statement Wednesday, Ross defended his right to do so. “I have always been an active participant in the democratic process,” Ross said in a statement, according to Bloomberg. “I have known Donald Trump for 40 years, and while we agree on some issues, we strongly disagree on many others and I have never been bashful about expressing my opinions.”
8am – A Interview – Ed Henry – chief national correspondent for Fox News Channel – discussed his donating a part of his liver to his sister.
- After liver donation, Fox News correspondent Ed Henry looks to spread the word about transplant needs (Washington Examiner) — When Ed Henry, chief national correspondent at Fox News Channel, decided to donate part of his liver to his sister, Colleen, he never intended it to become something that would spread broader awareness about the need for organ donations. But three weeks after surgeons removed 30% of his liver and placed it in his sister, he’s exploring ways to get the message out. He’s considering writing a book about the experience and is working with the Living Bank, a Houston-based nonprofit organization that focuses on living organ donations, to see about creating a public service announcement. “A lot of people simply don’t know about the ability to be a living donor,” Henry told the Washington Examiner in an interview. “All of us grew up on the idea that you only got organ donations from a dead person that had checked a box on a driver’s license,” he added. “Living donations could be the whole next frontier here.” Henry decided to donate his liver because he wanted to save his sister’s life and started the process about a year ago. It took time for him to undergo the physical and mental testing required and to lose the weight needed to become a healthy donor. He worked with a separate medical team from his sister’s and didn’t tell her he was considering the donation until it was clear he would be able to follow through.
8am – B/C Chris Cuomo shames NRA for not showing up at firearm town hall (Washington Examiner) — CNN host Chris Cuomo started off his town hall on firearms, titled America Under Assault: The Gun Crisis, by criticizing the National Rifle Association for declining their invitation to participate in the event. “I guess they want to do their talking with propaganda ads and millions in lobbying. Besides, let’s be honest, the gun lobby is not going to be the answer,” Cuomo said. “And that shouldn’t be expected anymore than we expected big tobacco to help us expose the ills of smoking. The reality is, people like you are the answer, and there can be no sides when it comes to wanting to be safer, better protected,” he continued. Survivors and victims’ family members from previous mass shootings were in attendance, such as the ones at Sutherland Springs church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, and the Pulse night club in Orlando, Florida. Wednesday’s town hall is the second CNN has hosted after mass shootings, with the first one hosted a week after the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The 2018 town hall was criticized for taking place very shortly after the incident and for the network appearing to take sides.
8am – D JOAQUIN CASTRO GETS BACKLASH OVER DOXXING TRUMP DONORS
8am – E Rosanna Arquette: ‘I’m Sorry I Was Born White and Privileged. It Disgusts Me.’ (Breitbart News) — Hollywood Actress Rosanna Arquette is apologizing for being born white, saying she’s ashamed of the privilege she believes her skin brings. “I’m sorry I was born white and privileged. It disgusts me. And I feel so much shame,” the Pulp Fiction actor said on Wednesday. It’s not clear exactly why the award-winning actress, whose net worth is estimated at about $9 million, announced her shame for being white. But the Crashing star is certainly no stranger to outrageous statements. On Monday, Arquette posted a photo of herself kneeling in front of dozens a American flags. She captioned the tweet by saying, “I’ll never stand for the flag again.”